Places of Interest
Colonial Spanish Quarter
This living history museum brings to life and explores the world of early colonists in a garrison town. Things to see range from cooking meals over a charcoal fire, a woodworking shop, a blacksmith's shop, and more. The people there are in period dress for added delight and are available to answer your questions.
53 Saint George Street - Phone: 904-825-6830
The Oldest House (Gonzalez-Alvarez House)
The Gonzalez-Alvarez "Oldest" House is Florida's oldest surviving Spanish Colonial house. It has two other museums including the only exhibit in St. Augustine covering 400 years of St. Augustine's history. Plus a gallery with rotating exhibits, picnic areas, and the Museum Store about the history of the area.
14 Saint Francis Street - Phone: 904-824-2872
The Oldest Wooden School House in the USA
Learn what school life was like 200 years ago. Compare your School Days with those of The Old Days! The wooden building is one of St. Augustine's oldest surviving structures. Originally built as a home in the 1700's, antique furnishings from that period are displayed in the kitchen, living room and bedroom.
14 Saint George Street - Toll Free: 888-653-7245
Ponce de Leon's Fountain of Youth
See remains of the first St. Augustine mission and colony. View navigational techiniques used by early explorers in our Planetarium. View the first 100 years of Spanish Exploration in the Discovery Globe presentation. Learn about Indian Life in the Timucuan 1580 Exhibit. Enjoy a drink from the fabled Fountain of Youth Spring.
11 Magnolia Avenue - Toll Free: 800-356-8222
St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum
The site of Florida's first lighthouse. Climb the 165 ft. tower to enjoy a great view of historic downtown and beaches. Enjoy living history activities, shipwreck artifacts and exhibits in the restored Victorian keepers' house museum. View the working first Fresnel lens. See shipwreck artifacts from local waters.
81 Lighthouse Avenue - Phone: 904-829-0745
Castillo de San Marcos
The Castillo de San Marcos, built 1672-1695, was used as an outpost of the Spanish Empire, guarding St. Augustine and also protecting the sea route for treasure ships returning to Spain. In its long history it has never been taken by military force. It was made a National Monument in 1924.
One S. Castillo Drive - Phone: 904-829-6506
Authentic Old Jail
Built by Henry Flagler in 1891, placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987, the Old Jail served as the county jail until 1953. Guns, weapons and courtyard displays are all part of this educational experience. It housed prisoners for over 60 years and one of the surviving 19th century jails.
167 San Marco Avenue - Phone: 904-829-3800
When the yellow fever epidemic struck in 1821, the mostly Catholic city had no place to bury Protestants. The City Council obtained a ½ acre of land by for that purpose. The local Presbyterians obtained the property in 1832. The name "Huguenot" refers to the 1564 French of Fort Caroline.
Orange St. and Castillo Dr. - Phone: 904-829-1711
The Authentic Oldest Store
Relive a part of the past at the museum. This collection of merchandise will amaze you at how far we've come since the days of steam-powered tractors, patent medicines. See over 100,000 items on display from the original inventory. Tools, guns, household goods, medicines are all on display.
4 Artillery Lane - Phone: 904-829-9729
Mission of Nombre de Dios
Located on the west bank of Matanzas Bay, it is the site of the first Catholic Mass said in what is now the United States. It is marked by a towering bronze-colored cross. This site was where Pedro Menendez knelt to kiss a wooden cross given by Father Francisco Lopez Grajales, the expedition's chaplain.
30 Ocean Avenue - Phone: 904-824-3045
HTML 5 | CSS 3 | No Malware | WCAG-AA